Enjoy a brilliant science activity for kids with these fizzing fairy potions!
Magical sparkly, colourful and frothy, they are sure to inspire some awe and wonder and are so simple to make. We have been loving magic and fairies lately after watching an episode of Bluey called fairies. Everything is now about magic and fairies.
Inspired by this awesome video about making Wizard’s Brew, by Babble Dabble Do, we set up our own version to make some Fizzing Fairy Potions.
What you need:
· Bicarb soda (baking powder)
· White Vinegar
· Washing up liquid
· Powder Paint or food colouring
· Glitter (large flakes works best)
· A small glass jar
· A magic wand or a spoon will work too
· A tray or large dish which can contain the overflow
· It helps to get dressed up as a fairy (or other fantasy creature!) and have your magic wand at the ready, all set for stirring the potions quickly.
1. Prepare your coloured vinegar, we used 5 different colours all in plastic cups.
2. Mix in a big squeeze of washing up liquid into each colour of vinegar.
3. Scoop two tablespoons of Bicarb Soda into your potion jar.
4. Add your glitter or other magical ingredients.
5. Then using spoons, droppers, scoops, jugs, poor some coloured vinegar into your potion jar and watch the magic happen.
6. Think of a wish or magic spell to make whilst you watch or even mix your potion.
7. The potion should bubble and froth, fizzing out over the jar and making a gorgeous, sparkly mixture. There’s no need to wash it out to start again, just keep adding more coloured vinegar. If the reaction does slow you can always add more bicarb and stir it up. You can change colours during the experiment by simply adding them over the top.
Don’t forget to keep on sprinkling that glitter for lots of magic and wishes. We have done this so many times now, with all of the colours and it looks stunning and brings squeals of delight each and every time.